Friday, January 21, 2011

Funny what you find when you look: RPGs at Wal-mart

Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying in the Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft, 6th EditionThis Christmas, I received a very generous Wal-mart gift card. I don't go to Wal-mart very often, but it is close to my house and, as a general purpose store, it carries a lot of things that I could probably use. Still, while I was hanging out at home, I couldn't really think of anything that I wanted or needed off the top of my head. So I decided to check out the Wal-mart.com website knowing that they have more stuff there than can be found at any one location.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery GuideI'd been hoping to pick up a few role playing game books and board games with any Christmas money I might receive. I wanted to buy the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide, the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide and the 6th edition of the Call of Cthulhu role playing game. On a whim, I typed a couple of titles into the Wal-mart website search and, lo and behold, I found some of them!

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's GuideIt took a while to search for everything. Wal-mart.com's search engine stinks if you are trying to find items in a general category (say RPGs), but searching for specific titles works and you can have some success looking for general role playing game and board game titles with a little probing and guess work.

I was able to find the following role playing books:
I also found hobby board games like:
And if you choose the Ship to Store option, you get free shipping with the minor hoop of having to pick it up from the store to jump through.
    Generally, I'd like to support my friendly local gaming store, but unfortunately the closest game store to my house is over an hour away. We do buy games from this store when we get the chance to visit and we do buy games directly from creators and publishers while attending Gencon. If my new project/cause of playing games in public bears fruit, maybe someone will open a full featured gaming store in my town or the larger town that's close by. Until then, I like finding deals in interesting and unexpected places and I'd say that finding some of these core role playing game books and hobby board games on walmart.com certainly qualifies.

    ** Storied Adventures is a board and table top gaming blog. Others exits. This is mine. Only the text product links in the bulleted list point to Walmart.com. Buying from the image links or the links above actually point to my wife's Amazon affiliate account. Surely you'd figure this out, I'm just being up fron in this disclaimer. I have no ongoing financial relationship with any of the publishers of the games listed or Walmart. I am, however, attached to my wife's Amazon affiliate account, so purchases made through any Amazon links support the ongoing blogging efforts of Storied Adventures (many thanks!)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment